If you are thinking about the perfect dessert for your kids or your friends, I have the perfect recipe. It is a very easy dessert that everyone loves. Treat them with this monkey bread and everyone will ask for the recipe!
Ingredients for the bread:
- 5 cups of flour (I use flour for all purposes)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of water (maybe a little more)
- 6 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
- A pinch of salt
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- 65 gr of granulated sugar
Ingredients for the filling:
- 50 gr granulated sugar
- 150-170 gr walnuts
- ¼ cup marmalade ( I prefer strawberry but you can use any marmalade that you like)
- 240 gr brie cheese
- ¼ cup unsalted melted butter
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Preparation of the bread:
- Take a mixer’s bowl and add 2 cups of flour with the yeast and the salt. Beat them until they are combined.
- In another bowl, add the butter with the water and microwave them for about 15-20 seconds in 800 watts. The mix should be warm enough but not hot. Make sure that the butter is not completely melt when you remove it from the microwave oven.
- Combine the two mixtures and the egg.
- Using the hook attachment of your mixer, beat the mixture for about 2 minutes and make sure to scape down the sides of the bowl so that you have a homogenous mixture.
- Add the remaining flour and beat the mixture again until it turns into a dough.
- Remove the dough from the mixer’s bowl and knead it on your working surface in order to make it really elastic. It should take you about 7-9 minutes. You know that it is ready when you push it with your fingers and it bounces back.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover it with a kitchen towel.
- Let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- After you have let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes create small dough balls that are 2.5cm in diameter.
- You can create different sizes of balls depending on how large you want your pieces to be (you will end up with approximately 40 balls).
- Cut the brie cheese into small pieces of about 2 cm in length and 5mm in height.
- Take each ball separately and it make it flatten. In the center of each piece of dough place a small piece of brie.
- Spread some marmalade over the cheese and top with 1-2 walnuts.
- Take the one side of the dough and press it firmly towards the opposite edge so that it closes. Make sure to keep all the filling inside the dough.
- You have created small cheese, marmalade and walnut balls!
- In a very small bowl mix the sugar along with the cinnamon.
- Take each small dough ball separately and dip it into the melted butter and then roll it over the sugar- cinnamon mixture.
- Take a round cake pan (I usually use the cake baking pans) and add some oil all over the pan.
- Add the small dough balls in the baking pan and cover the pan with a kitchen towel for about 1 hour in a warm place. You know it is ready when it has double its original size.
- Preheat your oven at 200*C or 392 Fahrenheit.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the monkey bread turns gold.
- Allow it to cool for 5 minutes and transfer to a serving plate.
- Enjoy while it is still warm!