Cleaning a waffle maker may appear like a simple task. But there are things that I often avoid and perhaps I will start by outlining what I avoid when doing a proper clean up. I never do any waffle clean up while it is hot or dunk the entire waffle maker into a cleaning solution while it is still hot. Secondly, I never use any abrasive cleaning agents such as scouring pads or sharp pointed objects to clean my waffle maker. Most waffle makers contain a non-detachable and nonstick plate, which simplifies their cleaning, and the steps outlined below help in removing all debris even the baked on and burnt debris without causing damage to the electrical parts of the waffle maker.
Our Favourite: Breville Smart 2-Slice Waffle Maker
Basic Items of Cleaning Waffle Makers
For proper clean up I often collect the following items, which are basic for my cleanup process. First, you should have some baking soda, dish liquid, a dry towel, a dish cloth, an old toothbrush, and a soft scrub brush.
Steps in Cleaning the Waffle Maker
- Firstly, I unplug the waffle maker from the power source to make sure that it cools down before I can start cleaning it up.
- I dip the dish cloth in a soapy warm solution and then wipe the outer side of the appliance.
- If there are any burned or caked crumbs, I dip the cloth in a hot soapy solution and wring it out properly and place it well over the grid to sock and loosen the crumbs. The cloth should not be wet so as to prevent water from dripping into the electrical appliance’s wiring.
- If there is still some dry baked debris, I take the toothbrush and soak in a solution of baking soda and use the brush to scrub the waffle’s grid clean.
- After the brush and towel has soaked all the debris, I dip the cloth in the soapy solution and wipe the waffles clean. If there are debris in the hinges, grid tunnel, or crevices I use a cotton swab or toothpick.
- To remove the final crumbs and debris or any other food particles, I use the scrub brush to brush off all dirt and a dish cloth to give the waffle maker a clean wipe.
- If the grid looks clean and free from any debris I use a lint-free towel to wipe off any moisture and dust.
- If at this point I detect any form of physical debris or if you wipe a finger along the grid network and you feel an oily residue then repeat the process from step four
More Advice and Tips on the Cleaning Process
If your waffles begin to stick to the appliance’s grid the reason may be that your non-stick layer or coat is worn out. You can change this by placing a non-stick wax paper between the plates while they heat up. The wax will coat the surfaces and give it a new layer of non-stick surfaces.