As the weather begins to cool and autumn approaches, you may find yourself craving some delicious sweets to prepare for the approaching holidays. Instead of buying pre-made cookies at the store, try baking your own delicious chocolate chip cookies from scratch. Nothing beats homemade chocolate chip cookies, and everyone will rave about yours.
If you love chewy chocolate chip cookies but can never seem to get the right texture, these chewy toffee chocolate chip cookies are a must. Thanks to the toffee pieces, you get chocolate chip cookies that are extremely chewy but soft. Be warned, however, because of the melted, sticky toffee, it can make a mess of your cookie sheets, so be prepared for a hefty cleanup.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1-1 ½ cups toffee pieces
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1-2 cups mini marshmallows (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Use non-stick cooking sheets, and you can also spray them with non-stick cooking spray for added help when getting the cooked cookies off the sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla and mix until the texture is creamy. Add the eggs and beat well again until smooth. Add the baking soda and salt, making sure to sprinkle them over the entire mixture. Blend well. Slowly, add the flour mixture. Make sure to beat while you gradually add more flour. Don’t add all the flour at once, unless you want a powdery mess over your kitchen.
- Add your chocolate chips and mix well. If you are using the optional chopped pecans and marshmallows, it may be best to only use 1 cup of chocolate chips, but it’s up to you. After the chips are well mixed, add the toffee pieces. The more you add, the chewier and messier they become. Add the optional chopped pecans and mini marshmallows.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow them to cool on the sheet for about a minute and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool with a metal spatula.
Note: This is where you may have problems because the toffee will want to stick to the cookie sheet, but the trouble is worth it. If the cookies tear, allow them to cool a little longer. Once the cookies have cooled completely, they are much easier to move.
Thanks to the toffee, these cookies are like no other chocolate chip cookie you’ve had, but you’ll only get to experience the satisfying chewy texture and outstanding taste if you give this recipe a shot. Relax and watch the leaves turn colors with a chewy toffee cholate chip cookie and your favorite cup of coffee or tea.