You read it right, erotica author Zane paid a visit to CAU on behalf of the student organization “Reading in Random Places”, which inspires students to read books outside of their general studies.
The event entitled “An Evening with Zane” was filled with hearty conversation as Zane answered questions about her books, television show, and even her love life. Zane never intended on being a writer of erotica, “It just sort of happened”, she said.
Zane got her start in 1997 when she started posting short stories online in chat rooms that immediately became a hit. The author of 27 books to date, is currently on tour promoting her newest book “Z-Rated”.
Many people who have not read any of Zane’s work automatically assumes that she is all about sex but she really is not. Majority of her fan letters that she receives asking for advice are not even about sex.
Her empowerment group “You’ll Never Stand Alone” is all about uplifting the black woman. “I get letters from so many women who have stopped loving themselves. They give their all to a man and when that man doesn’t appreciate her she focuses on everything else but her self. I want to help women get back to loving themselves and claiming their roles in society” says Zane.
When asked when was she last in love and if she is as sexually uninhibited as the characters in her stories she laughed and replied, “The last time I was in love was now and yes I am as sexually uninhibited as the characters in my books and if you saw my boo you would understand why.”
Zane is concluding her tour with a book signing at Books-A-Million and a birthday party. Happy Birthday Zane.
Ten Fun Facts About Zane
Zane means “God’s precious gift”
- She was the first student allowed to be a dual enrollment student at Spelman College.
- Her father was the president of one of the AUC institutions. (She won’t reveal which one)
- She runs the largest black owned imprint in the world.
- Owned between 8,000-10,000 books as a child.
- She really did live a double life for the first five years of being an author which was depicted in the Zane’s Sex Chronicles show.
- Her favorite author is one of the authors she publishes named D.V. Bernard.
- She wrote “Nervous” with a baby on her hip literally.
- The first story in her newest book “Z-Rated” was written by her son.
Zane loves using her alias name instead of her real name.